Re: [Xen-users] Anything come close to esx for xen?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Anything come close to esx for xen?
From: "lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:43:38 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:44:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Problem is, it's not only the techs using these things.
>
> That is my point! I do think that only techs should use it DIRECTLY and
> that other projects should give an interface to it.

Who argued that? I agree, that means options, choices, all good.

> In the UNIX "spirit", each individual program is specialized in an as
> much limited role as possible, but it should do it well. In that way,
> Xen is doing very well.

Having an interface that less tech oriented people can use is far from that
spirit. In fact, have you peeked at Ubuntu lately, or any other Linux OS that
is starting to challenge Microsoft as a desktop solution? It's all because it
is GUI. Xen having a gui would far from change anything but make it all that
much more acceptable and useful. Not such a bad idea.

> But even a WISH is not relevant, as I don't think this is the ROLE of
> Xen to have a GUI. This HAS to be in a separated project, as there are
> many types of applications for it, which would require a totally
> different GUI.

I don't agree. I think it can be anything to anyone, just depends on whom ever
wants to make it available. If someone or a group of people wanted to sit down
and come up with a ready to go ISO, I think that would have tremendous value in
the adoption of xen as a viable solution. The problem with open source IS the
fact that it's too technical and quite often, not usable by the masses. You're
basically saying 'let's just keep it for us' the gods of command line.

Bah, time to change. I've been that guy for many years but find I simply cannot
do it all anymore, never have been able to. I used to surround myself with
other tech's but that's simply not the answer. The better answer is better
tools to manage things otherwise, it's a closed minded project.

> The fact that the open source Xen does NOT include a GUI is to me a very
> good thing, so there is nothing authoritative, and it leaves the door
> open to many projects. Maybe it's just a shame that there is not enough
> integration efforts, and not enough of these projects, but nothing more.

Even if it came with a GUI, people would STILL have the choice to use their own
but it would simplify it for the masses who might otherwise be interested in
using xen.

> URL?

www.unrealmachines.com, just a basic site, to see if there might be interest.
Unfortunately, not one person has submitted a project so it'll probably die.
Unless of course, she or others care to advertise it on their own sites so that
it does actually can the community.

> There are alternatives for all of them. There's CentOS instead of RedHat
> (I still thing the RPM system is *bad* and that everyone should use

But again, that's your choice, feeling, what ever. Plenty of people have
started adopting Linux because it has become easier to deal with updates,
upgrades etc, yum rpm, all of these tools are meant to be helpful, they might
not be the choice for everyone but they are there and many come already
installed.

> instead of Asterisk (I highly recommend this one). The issue here is
> that no one is aware of it, when in fact everybody should be switching
> to the fork, to get rid of the evil. This can be changed spreading the
> information, writing to each others like I'm doing right now.

Hey, so long as we're not arguing about one thing or another, my contribution
remains the same. Make it easy enough for non tech people to use and I'll sure
as heck keep finding ways of putting Linux in the corporate environment over
Microsoft every day that I can. I can't count how many people I've moved from
MS to Linux and it always feels great.

After all, isn't that really the bottom line.

Mike