Re: [Xen-users] 3 failed approaches to create guest domains

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Siddharth Wagh
<siddharth.wagh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for your advice Fajar. I will definitely consider it, but I have very
> close deadlines to achieve (get guests up and running by the end of this
> month)

Which is why I told you to use RHEL/Centos :)

Seriously. I could write a loooong response about what went wrong with
your install, but to be honest a lot of things could cause that. And
you didn't exactly give much helpful information (like what the
contents of vm01-config.sxp is). As for virt-install and virt-manager,
I'm guessing both failed because somehow your xen network config is
messed up that the domU can't connect to the mirror site.

Another point to consider is that Centos/RHEL5 is actively maintained
while Fedora 8 has reached EOL and Fedora 9/10 doesn't support xen
dom0.

Considering all that, the fastest route would be to start from scratch
with RHEL/Centos 5.2 or 5.3, selecting "Virtualization" package from
start.  Note that you should start with AT LEAST Centos 5.2, as there
have been lots of bug fixes (including xen-related ones) after the
initial 5.0 release. With the default installation, the Virtualization
Guide should be able to help you get a domU running with minimum
effort. This howto should also do the same thing
http://www.howtoforge.com/centos_5.0_xen

If you were an experienced sysadmin I could give you a different advice :)

> and am worried about facing similar system problems again. I hope
> that I do not lose more time in those.

If you're in a "I must get this to work no matter what" situation then
its probably to find help from your local sysadmins to give you
hands-on support. Mailing lists aren't exactly a replacement for good
technical support.

> Is there an active community around
> using Centos/RHEL which can help me?

Many people on this list use Centos/RHEL.

> I was very disappointed with the
> Fedora-Xen community.

Probably because Fedora8 has reached EOL.
And probably because you're asking about basic things already covered
in existing documentation, so the common response would be "RTFM"

Regards,

Fajar