RE: [Xen-users] Xen Setup

To: Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Xen Setup
From: William Pitcock <nenolod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:14:41 -0500
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, venefax <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:13:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:03 -0700, Alan wrote:
> We don’t do anything fancy really, just the straight out VPS like no
> other. We don’t map PCI devices to VPSes etc. It really is just an OS
> on a disk with a memory allocation.
>

> Considering you have both, would you be able to give a brief
> advantages/disadvantages between using OpenVZ and Xen? I have been
> considering OpenVZ as well as Xen and Xen was looking a little better
> on the IO performance side.

Xen has no real advantages over Virtuozzo with I/O, although it is very
easy to integrate SAN solutions like ATA-over-Ethernet and iSCSI. I have
a fairly large cluster mostly fed by an ATA-over-Ethernet meshed SAN,
and the performance is quite acceptable.

> Thing is, we would like to be able to take advantage of the fact the
> CPU can handle 64bit and would like to run a 64bit Xen host along with
> 64bit VPSes. I am not sure if Xen can do this or not, nor whether
> OpenVZ can either.

Roughly 98% of my customers are on x86-64 instances. Approximately 20
are still on x86-32 instances. All of our dom0's except for one node is
x86-64 capable (dual Opteron 2216 hardware from Rackable Systems).

Personally, I have found that Xen's behaviour is a lot more reliable on
x86-64 than it is on x86-32. But maybe that's just my setup.

> If you look at my original post to the mailing list, we are
> considering the switchover because of new hardware/newer OS.

What hardware do you have? Virtuozzo's memory overcommitting would
probably be useful to you if you are working with lowspec hardware (<=
8GB). I know that with Xen, we have reached capacity limits a few times
because the customer growth was increasing more rapidly than we could
order and rack more hardware for the clusters.

Furthermore, anything I have said about Virtuozzo can be applied to
OpenVZ without much difficulty.

William