Re: [Xen-users] Support for "Un-Modified OS"

To: Chuck McIntyre <chuck.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Support for "Un-Modified OS"
From: rsteele <rsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:07:17 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 07:08:39 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuck McIntyre wrote:
> FWIW, we're running Xen on Opteron 2200 series processors (with HVM
> support) for this precise purpose. The "unmodified guests" work mostly
> like you'd expect, though there are a few gotchas, none of which (in
> our case) were driver related. The Linux distribution we are using for
> guests is primarily CentOS 4.4 and the Dom0 is CentOS 5. I would
> imagine that you will not find driver difficulties for your guests
> once you get your Dom0 working properly, though that might be somewhat
> troublesome (I leave it to others to comment on the support for Intel
> VTX). Some of the issues we've encountered center around: not seeing
> enough RAM, time synchronization issues and console issues (as have
> been covered on this list ad naseum).

Well, my concerns were mostly that I'd have trouble with the Windows
variants as guest OS's.  I'm reasonably confident that I can get Debian
going as my host OS with little difficulty, but the Windows guest OS
question is nagging at me.  I don't really care what version of Windows,
(e.g., XP or 2003 Server would be fine), as long as I can get one of
them to work without too much jumping through hoops.  I'm all for the
pedagogical experience, but if getting those platforms to run is going
to be unreasonably difficult and require constant bug-fixing, I'd like
to know that beforehand so I can make accurate estimates for the
upcoming project.  Again, any advice the list can provide is welcome
and appreciated.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Ryan