Re: [Xen-users] Xen without the X

To: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen without the X
From: Michael Watters <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 19:39:33 -0400
Cc: "Shane D. Johnson" <SDJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:02:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Shane D. Johnson wrote:
Michael,
I say your post yesterday and to I compiled X11R7.2 up to the libs only and tried Xen again and still had the same result. Do I need to go further and compile more of X11? I am having a hard time understanding why even the libs are needed and why I can't just get the kernels and tools I need without them? Can anyone shed some light on why this is?
Because unless you want to spend quite a lot of time reverse engineering the Xen installer to exclude the X-based utilities, like support for the VNC consoles, it's probably not worth the pain.

This is where a managed software system like deb or RPM has an advantage: the components like libraries and include files are already segmented out for you, to support exactly this sort of requirement.

Exactly. Install CentOS, select the "Virtualization" option, and you're done. Well, there is a 2nd step.

yum install xauth vncviewer

xauth depends on xorb-libs which will be installed automatically, that should be all you need to get domUs running and view them using VNC.

You may also want to set selinux=0 in the kernel options in GRUB, I couldn't get domains to boot an iso file with it enabled. I'm sure there's a way to set SELinux to allow it but didn't have time to mess with it.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle, compiling everything from source is a waste of time for almost no gain.