Re: [Xen-users] Sysadmin guys that know XEN?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Sysadmin guys that know XEN?
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 02:36:56 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 19:35:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Nathan,

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:07:53PM -0400, Nathan Allen Stratton wrote:

> Anyone know any good ways to find systems guys that know XEN? We started
> looking around Houston, TX and then expanded to anyone willing to relocate
> on all the major job sites. It has been very hard to find anyone with
> clue. Yes, a few people put xen, clustering, LVM on their resume, but you
> ask them a few basic questions and they admit that they click xen once on
> a suse install or something.
>
> Is it worth continuing to look, or is our best bet to train guys in house?

My personal view is that if they are competent with LVM, clustering,
shared storage etc. then learning the Xen component should be quite
easy.  So I wouldn't worry about hiring people who otherwise fit the
specification but had no Xen knowledge.

I would make it clear that getting up to speed quickly with Xen is a
job requirement and that their progress in that area would be a key
item in their first job performance review.

Cheers,
Andy