Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen over quemu OR quemu in Xen domU on a system with HVM-capable CPU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 02:48:40 +0100
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:47:05 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thank you for your help.
> And please, excuse me my bad English.
>
> I'll try to clarify what I want.
>
> Example.
>
> I can run FreeBSD inside quemu, but I can't run FreeBSD
> (especially legacy FreeBSD, e.g. FreeBSD 5)
> inside Xen domain.
> Even on HVM capable machines.
> (as far as I know proble is related to loader and big real mode).

Ah.  I have an AMD-V box that works with FreeBSD 6 OK...  Are you running on
an Intel VT-x box?

> That is there are OS'es which we can run inside quemu but can't run
> inside Xen domU.
>
> Am I right?

Yes, if they mess with things like the big real mode stuff, which aren't fully
emulated at the moment...

> So I want to find a way to run OSes (inside quemu or any other way)
> that can not run directly in Xen domUs (even on HVM)
> simultaneously with normal Xen domUs.

> May be, my information is out of date and today absolutely any
> (x86,legacy) OS can run in Xen domU on an HVM capable machine?

Would the performance of plain Qemu be too slow for you?  That would be an
easy first step to make...

You might find that the KVM virtualiser will support the OSes you want (or
not :-/), but that'll mean you can't run Xen (except maybe as a KVM guest).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!