RE: [Xen-users] Operative systems supported in virtual machines by Xen

To: "nicola" <nicola.calligaris@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Operative systems supported in virtual machines by Xen
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:17:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:17:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Assuming your processor has HVM (either AMD-V or Intel VT), then you can
run "almost any operating system". On AMD systems, we test regularly
with Redhat, SuSE and various versions of Windows. I'm fairly sure that
Intel does the same, but I can't really say for sure.

I have personally run Windows 2K3, Vista, NT, SuSE SLES 9.3, DOS 6.22 in
HVM mode. Others have managed to get for example OS/2 to run on AMD
processors too.

If you are using a non-HVM model of processor, you won't be able to run
Windows. Linux varieties should still work just fine (except you don't
get the same kernel as the original distribution - you'll be using the
Xenified kernel version, so if you plan to use some old RedHat version
that was built with a 2.4 or 2.2 kernel, it may not work well with a
2.6.18 kernel that the latest Xen uses...

--
Mats