Re: [Xen-users] Memory squeeze in netback driver?

On Tue, May 08, 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > > On my test box where I run up to about 3-4 domUs, not heavily loaded, I
> > > have been running with dom0-min-mem=196M and dom0_mem=256M.  I should
> > > probably just disable ballooning altogether on this machine.
> > >
> > > A static dom0 memory allocation should really be just fine on a server,
> > > the auto-ballooning is more useful for desktop use or for playing around
> > > and getting the feel of things without having to reconfigure manually all
> > > the time.
> >
> > I've tried running a couple of heavy network servers at 256meg dom0 but I
> > keep getting memory squeeze errors. I wouldn't mind it -that- much if it
> > didn't then just lock up all domU networking. I can trigger it pretty
> > readily by running rsync's from a domU to an external server at
> > ~50-100mbit.
> >
> > I wonder how hard it'd be to fix that..
>
> Are you running the network servers in separate domUs or in dom0 itself?  Are
> the domUs using network servers in dom0?  Is this with a statically allocated
> dom0 memory footprint, or autoballooning?

* Network servers (eg rsync) are in domU, not dom0. dom0 just does devices,
bridging,
  munin-node and other small bits of housekeeping. The rsync is going to an
external
  machine, not into dom0.

* Oh, its with minimal ballooning - I manually set dom0 mem down to 256meg at
boot
  and let it stay there. The new servers are at 384meg.

> Don't you just hate people who ask lots of questions? ;-)

Nope!

Adrian