RE: [Xen-users] Re: Status of frequency scaling

To: "Goswin von Brederlow" <brederlo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: Status of frequency scaling
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:55:39 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 May 2007 02:02:07 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Absolutely right. It's just that no one has deemed it important enough to
actually sit down and do it.

> I have xen on my laptop and the batery live goes down drastically
> without frequency scaling (understandably). I would like to have at
> least manual control so I can turn the CPU down when on batery.
>
> >>3. Guest may need to be informed of the frequency change.
> Some kernels
> >>may not appreciate that the CPU frequency is chaning "without it's
> >>knowledge". [This is probably not a big problem on modern
> OS's, but some
> >> older ones may be very un-co-operative on this account].
> >
> > Ah yes, I remember, that a Solaris system within VMware server
> > didn’t like the frequency changes of the Linux host.
> > I don’t have any problems with XP within VMware server at
> my notebook.
>
> Does Linux care?

Depends a little bit on what your doing inside linux, but in general you can
run Linux with "unstable" clocks. I did that when I first wrote a PowerNow!
driver for Linux (that driver, after quite a lot of modification, is now the
AMD official driver, but not much of my code is there now 4 or so years
later...).

> >>This is strange - as far as I can remember, I had powernow
> working on my
> >>machine not so long ago (3.0.4 or so) with only the traps.c
> patched to
> >> allow writing of the FID/VID controls registers.
> >
> > Could you send me the patch for traps.c? I would like to try it.
>
> Me too.

Patch attached for anyone to see... It's a bit old, but I believe it still
applies to traps.c.

Please be aware that this code is "untested" and without any warranty of
actually functioning correctly or doing what you want in any other way...

--
Mats