Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using lvm for domUs
From: "Tijl Van den Broeck" <subspawn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 10:56:05 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 May 2007 01:54:44 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=KsimgL7B5iuFydrGssPKbxvG2u+8AunAHqZajxDD1mpuLb2DEzPZBCJsQDwIQljheD/BG68neQPdPMUMOkAcX5mqQLQu3VzN0o/0z1bPF20WOJUTNOi0EcAaGGfoa24UpkRWGQMszVgvBxT48dF25iFn7NIzKPkaEfm0zLpSngw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That said, I'd love to be able to have the DomUs detect partition size
changes without reboots of the DomU

We do use LVM inside domU's for that, the SAN provides fixed size
LUN's, which is transparantly mapped through into the domU using
domU-name as prefix for the groups. It does have some minor annoyances
when performing live migration (ie. your source & target dom0 must be
-aware- of the LVM, so don't forget the rescan for LVM groups). Other
than that, I don't see why not recommending it, as long as your dom0
does not use the LVM, there are no issues with it... and you enable
hot disk space adding :-)

 or even nicer -- have the LVM
handling be passed through to Dom0 directly instead of handled as
emulated partitions.  That is to say, /dev/DomU_VG/logs could be
configured to pass through to Dom0's /dev/main/xen_DomU_logs directly
... but I've never played with the LVM internals so I'm not sure how
likely that is to ever happen.

You're referring to internal "sharing" of an LVM from a dom0 towards a
domU with all its options, right? That's an interesting concept. I
wonder how it would handle on security levels though, I think you'd
have to go beyond the mere "passing-through" of block devices,
possibly mixing things making it too complex to handle.