Re: [Xen-users] Installing Firebird in a Xen Guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Installing Firebird in a Xen Guest
From: Tom Miller <madprogextrodinr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:43:52 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:43:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Henning Sprang wrote:
On 1/15/07, Thomas Miller <tmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I am a newbie to Linux so will need some instructions on how to monitor
the IP traffic.

Use tcpdump on all interfaces involved, one after the other to see
which one sees the packages last. You have to read the manpage of
tcpdump to understand how to use it, and how you apply filters (e.g.
for not getting flooded by your own ssh packets while trying to watch
a specific interface). Then you will know more on where to search for
the missing packages.

I cannot explain this further, because it's a lot that is missing when
you don't know about tcpdump yet - giving you an full intruction to
Linux networking basics and stuff is not in the scope of this list.
And I don't recommend starting with Xen before being reasonably
confident with the workings of a Linux system and it's networking
concepts as well as basic networking and network debuggin tools.
Try the Linux Documentation Project and it's howto's about networking
and other stuff...

Heninng

Henning

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This helped a lot. It seems that FB isn't listening on port 3050, so off to the FB group to see why not.

Thanks again.