RE: [Xen-users] Running Xen with Hardware Virtualization under AMD

To: "Thomas Harold" <tgh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mathew Brown" <mathewbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Running Xen with Hardware Virtualization under AMD
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:39:49 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 02:41:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AM2 (I think it's called S1, but that could be an Internal AMD name,
rather than the public name). There are, however, no Turion X2 that
doesn't also have AMD-V. So any turion X2 machine will automatically
support Xen with HVM.

I believe ACPI is supported, but frequency-management under Xen is not
well-supported (if at all) - and there's need for work on this,
particularly in creating a "policy module" that takes into account the
other domains requirements, not just Dom0 [In the current
implementation, you could quite easily have very confused scenarios if
the DomU is using 100% cpu and Dom0 nearly none - then the power policy
would reduce the CPU-speed to minimum].

However, if you just use the laptop for "plugged in" work when playing
with Xen - or don't mind too much if the battery drains quickly, there's
no reason to NOT use this type of machine.

--
Mats