RE: [Xen-users] Q: NUMA and XEN

To: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Q: NUMA and XEN
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:45:12 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 02:46:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dumb. There's no guarantee that any domain will get any particular
memory, or even that the memory is contiguous within a lump. Until the
actual code to support NUMA is in place, you're just as well off letting
the two DomU's switch between CPU's as they like - that will at least
average out, rather than being "always bad" (if you're unlucky).

Of course, on a two-node Opteron system, I doubt that you'll be
measuring a huge difference unless you're running some HPC application -
in which case you should consider "not using Xen", as HPC on Xen isn't
the most optimal solution [lots of things are slowed down a little bit
by the extra layering - which isn't exactly great for your average HPC
application].

> XEN will be clever if it takes the RAM from one node,
> preferrably that where the
> assigned CPU is, and it will be dumb if it assigns just any
> RAM, causing a
> slowdown of RAM access.

Since Xen isn't aware of which RAM belongs to which processor, it will
be completely random whether you get "good" or "bad" result.

--
Mats