[Xen-users] General question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] General question
From: "François Levasseur" <francois.levasseur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:53:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 06:53:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm new to Xen and I read the documentation in detail.

But sometimes, asking a question to an experienced user help to avoid mistake.

I have two nodes (Opteron server) that runs Xen and a dom and one NFS server.

So far, I can understand that Xen gives me theses advantages:
   - Security (one domU get hacked, the others are relatively safe)
   - High availability (if one node die, the other node can start the
domU and restore the service)
   - Performance (live migration if one node is too busy)

Now comes the questions:

- To perform live migration, I need to filesystem to be present on
both server. I would use NFS ROOT. Is it recommended? If not, what is
the best solution (iSCSI is not an option here)? Note that the Apache
server will have high load during the day... and the documentation
says "Note that the Linux NFS root implementation is known to have
stability problems under high load (this is not a Xen-specific
problem), so this configuration may not be appropriate for critical
servers."

- What happend with the SWAP partition during migration? If I
understand correctly, my root filesystem is on NFS so there is no
problem. But how handle the SWAP partition for live migration?

- "xm save" save only the CPU and memory state? It does not include
the root fs nor swap partition?

- I use a 3wares RAID card. I guess the dom0 needs to have custom
kernel to support the card. Does the domU kernel also need the raid
card module?

- Bonus question :)  If I have a SSL server on Xen signed by Comodo or
Verisign, does the certificate still valid when I migrate the domU to
another node?

Thanks.

Frank