Re: [Xen-users] Can't use 2.6.16-xen as dom0 kernel

To: Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can't use 2.6.16-xen as dom0 kernel
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:32:47 +0100
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 06:33:19 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  I compiled a 2.6.16-xen kernel from xen-unstable but I cannot use it as
> a dom0 kernel. Here is the error:
>
> ---------------------
> TCP reno registered
> Initializing IPsec netlink socket
> NET: Registered protocol family 1
> NET: Registered protocol family 17
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: autorun ...
> md: ... autorun DONE.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0) (XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5
> seconds. (XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5 seconds.
>  (XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5 seconds.
>  (XEN) Domain 0 crashed: rebooting machine in 5 seconds.

The -xen kernel is built with almost all drivers configured as
modules; hence you'll need an initrd including the driver[s] for
your scsi or ide controller so you can mount the root filesystem.

Alternatively just build a -xen0 kernel [which includes almost all
drivers compiled in].

cheers,

S.