Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup
From: Teck Choon Giam <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 04:16:20 +0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 May 2009 13:16:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=RI+I1rPpkDYLNUxAUCNYRhd/HL/8dgB/SiLDp3klCe4=; b=m5bGN08R1Z0gsfdEM1SYETqlFv5/JqEXgQCEgohlPP9UkP2lJKEAO5T4EBUVOurN2F PNSpZp2Dz6fUCUHgPH6refOJ7ieV2UHZnpWATrX0Bi7BSn9oS+rXGMkG541YVAPkI1Fv FPbeBbse+tct4pAvQY0cHxZfcm9LEL8C/CeOs=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Oh, by the way it would be interesting to see if your Windows slowness is
> affected by putting hap=0 in the domain config file. Are you running with
> recent Intel processors which support EPT, or with AMD processors supporting
> NPT? The former can be checked via xm dmesg and look for EPT in the output.
> If not then hap=0 will actually have no effect.

Ok found the problem... ... vcpus set to above what is available will
cause lockup for HVM windows vista/2008 (maybe others also) and even
crash your dom0 (happened once and need a hard reboot)!  I forgot
about it as my servers mostly have 4 VCPUS :p  This will not happen if
running xen <3.4.0.

Thanks a lot for all of you who replied especially to Keir who hint me
related to processors type ;)  My stupid overlook on VCPUS value can
cause me headache... ...

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon