Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup
From: Teck Choon Giam <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 22:31:15 +0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 May 2009 07:32:43 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=7jm9p+GUfAmgcjEW62FgqcL3XEJlPCXu9D5FJ1asjwI=; b=SI7VfMWEbq2ygaX9lYxjF2OyCO6cAB/i7HGXwUU0v9y5JpU5vfX+WeCRXuVKzZkMXS m9eHti7rvUYYwfmm7btEXqNRe9MklHLSfJNcPmLiqvtWZ2Bvy6aAG7N2ECvBVhNsQTVB hxozTGGTrxOTSxllwIoINdiuenfd0jfua1A2U=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:23 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23/05/2009 12:24, "Teck Choon Giam" <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> How slow is 'slow'? Is that across more than one type of guest OS? Do you
>>> run the GPLPV drivers?
>>
>> I do not run any GPLPV drivers.  Performance wise between 3.3.2 and
>> 3.4 difference as in speed and performing tasks via remote desktop in
>> HVM windows 2008 guest is very noticeable.  Lag time can be more than
>> twice just for remote desktop logins with no other changes just the
>> difference of xen version 3.3.2 and 3.4.0.
>>
>> I might have jumped into wrong conclusion too soon though and will
>> test again later then report back the result.  If you have any test
>> tools for me to perform and compare between both versions will be
>> great ;)
>
> Could be a number of things. Changes in qemu are quite a possibility, but
> that's not certain. Remote desktop means you use RDP in the Windows guest
> rather than the qemu vncserver?

Yes, I am using RDP mainly from various OSes such as laptops and PCs
(FreeBSD, Linux and Windows XP/Vista).  Unless got issues or else I
won't use vnc i.e. vnc to get the snapshot.

>From Andrew's reply, it looks like that patch does fix the issue so
you want me to apply that patch and test then report back or are you
going to apply that patch in 3.4 tree?

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon

P.S. Repost to list and apology to Keir for email you direct in my
previous reply.