Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.0 - Windows 2008 Lockup
From: Teck Choon Giam <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 19:09:33 +0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 May 2009 04:10:02 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Dvp1oVOtmgkEgDro6MJ7yYgrwacVLJmD/o4d9D66oBg=; b=w0SCEEzHMe9dNGN243Ftb8WwT3yPE6UvmeCrORPp1X3yuQY21mrcwzDGZMR1nzSh7q kzsnN3yqOPK12Y0Tg1BoQldDdDeiuc1TFw9YsGo4e+mhKy0FHdhy3b8jaz371lg0sa5v ZEWEvfhGKKZP4k2oJMZn8gmKXRVFP7KhdGb4A=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Something timing/timer related must have chnaged in 3.4 to make this more
> likely. However it is not impossible you could see that bluescreen on 3.3
> too! And there is a workaround on 3.4 which does not exist on 3.3 -- add
> viridian=1 to your domain config file. This will tell Windows it is running
> on a hypervisor and thus to relax its timer checks.

I actually tried that before reverting when initially hitting this
lockup issue then I search the mailing list and ended up with this:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-04/msg01050.html

I tried with viridian=1 and viridian=0 and also never include that in
my HVM config file.  The problem I am facing is super slow/performance
when using HVM in 3.4.0 besides the lockup issue.

> Please give this a go rather than reverting.

I have already reverted to xen 3.3.2 changeset 18591 with
linux-2.6.18-xen.hg changeset 797.

Since this is a production server I am unable to test the setting
until later of the night (after midnight) when everyone else heading
to sleep except me :p

I will give it another go with xen 3.4.0 changeset 19607 with
linux-2.6.18-xen.hg changeset 876 again later after midnight then
report back the result.

The blue screen I encountered when using xen 3.4.0 is easily triggered
by doing Windows Backup in HVM windows 2008 guest and within minutes
will hit that blue screen whereby using xen 3.3.2 I never encounter
such even now as I am doing a windows backup in HVM and completed the
backup process.  Running xen 3.3.2 HVM windows 2008 guest is solid
stable for months since last upgrade from xen 3.3.1 to xen 3.3.2.

Thanks.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon