Re: [Xen-devel] Odd Bridging Quirk

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Odd Bridging Quirk
From: Josh Triplett <josht@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:17:01 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:16:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chris Babcock wrote:
I am seeing an odd bridging quirk, on my domU instances.

When any of my domU's start, they cannot receive any traffic until they
have sent at least a few packets.  Time seems to have no effect on this
behavior.  If I let an idle domU sit for an hour, it still fails to
receive, if it has not originated any traffic.

My workaround for the moment, is an added rc-init script that pings the
default gateway a few times when the domain first comes up.

Is this normal? Should there be a warning in the docs, if it is?  If not,
does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this?

I think I remember having this same problem when I set up networking with Xen. How are your domains getting their network addresses? I think the problem may have had something to do with ARP not being correctly set up between the bridge, the DomU's, and the network, such that a domain needed to send some packets out before it was known to have a given address.

- Josh Triplett