RE: [Xen-devel] RFC: "local" communications

To: "Rik van Riel" <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] RFC: "local" communications
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:53:57 +0100
Cc: Lon Hohberger <lhh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:53:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In order for this to work better, it would be good if there
> was a way for software in a domU to communicate with software
> on the local dom0 - so after being migrated elsewhere, a
> guest would start talking to the new dom0 automatically.
>
> Now what I'm not sure about is, what would be the best way to do this?
>
> Should it be some virtual device analogous to the virtual
> network driver, or should we have some other kind of socket
> for node local communications ?
>
> What kind of approach would the Xen community (that's you, if
> you read this far) prefer ?

For relatively static stuff (e.g. textual configuration data), it would
be reasonable to use xenbus/xenstore. We could give each domain a
subtree in the store that it can read/write via a /proc/sys interface.

For other low bandwidth stuff we could have a simple protocol for
multiplexing datagrams over the virtual console channel.

For high bandwidth stuff we'd want to set up separate shared memory
rings.

Rik: Does this mean you could be pursuaded to look at splitting the
console handling out of xend? :-)

Ian