[Xen-devel] RFC: "local" communications

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] RFC: "local" communications
From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:08:51 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Lon Hohberger <lhh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:08:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When combining clustering with cluster storage, the situation
arises where virtual machines are not only managed by the cluster
software, but also need to participate in the cluster software

In order for this to work better, it would be good if there
was a way for software in a domU to communicate with software
on the local dom0 - so after being migrated elsewhere, a guest
would start talking to the new dom0 automatically.

Now what I'm not sure about is, what would be the best way to
do this?

Should it be some virtual device analogous to the virtual
network driver, or should we have some other kind of socket
for node local communications ?

What kind of approach would the Xen community (that's you, if
you read this far) prefer ?

The Theory of Escalating Commitment: "The cost of continuing mistakes is
borne by others, while the cost of admitting mistakes is borne by yourself."
  -- Joseph Stiglitz, Nobel Laureate in Economics

Xen-devel mailing list