Re: [Xen-devel] Control tools work

To: Charles Coffing <ccoffing@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Control tools work
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:01:38 -0500
Cc: christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 01:01:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Charles Coffing wrote:

Christian,

I've done a pull and now see the functionality in XendCheckpoint.py; thanks for
the heads-up.

But how do you see things outside of xm & xend accessing this functionality?  In
particular, I'm thinking of a CIMOM provider written in C++.  Forking/exec-ing an "xm
migrate" command is less than ideal, for several reasons (progress reporting, error
reporting without having to grok text, overhead on a busy server, ...)  In my ideal world,
this level of functionality would be in C or C++ libraries, so you can put whatever you want
on top of it, be it Python commands or C++ CIMOM code or anything else.
I'm quite happy with the direction the lower level infrastructure is going in. Once the store gets straightened out, the control channel multiplexing daemon becomes less interesting (which is the biggest barrier to tools entry today).

Christian's latest modifications to the xc_save/restore code were fantastic and we were able to start using it quickly. I'd still like to see some of the libxc interfaces refactored a bit (for instance, I'd like xc_domain_create to do a bit less so better error conditions can be obtained) but I think we're going to try to start helping to improve the existing error paths first.

I've always thought of VM-Tools as a mechanism to determine what aspects of Xen needs more work to support additional management tools.

Your point about OS-agnostic interfaces is a good one--there's a bit of a combinatorial domain creation problem as we support more types of domains on more types of architecture (and even if we ever support things other than Linux for dom0).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

I don't necessarily want to revive the old Python debate, but this does
complicate things.

Thanks,
Charles

christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx 05/31/05 3:07 pm >>>