[Xen-devel] hanging dell hardware

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] hanging dell hardware
From: michal urbanski <michal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:53:39 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:54:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

Sorry to bug the list again, but is anyone running xen on recent Dell
hardware equipped with the PERC 4e/[SD]i controller? I've been having
issues with random hangs, and I'm trying to narrow down the list of
possible causes.

Symptom: moderate io causes my xen-running machine to lock hard. Doing
something like "find /" does it everytime, but I've also had hangs while
booting virtual domains, doing a dd, etc. It's happened in both domain0
and in other virtual domains. This hang during find does not  occur when
using a stock Debian (2.4.28) kernel nor a self-compiled  2.6.10 kernel
(which is my first big clue that it might be a xen-related issue). I've
consulted with Dell on this, and they  recommended a firmware upgrade,
but that did nothing for my particular problem.

I'm running 2.6.10 in domain0, using the debian packages provided by
Adam Heath. The driver I'm trying to use is the new megaraid driver, not
the legacy one, which doesn't seem to recognize the raid controller at
all.

My first guess was flakey hardware, but testing with non-xen kernels
makes me think otherwise. Does anyone have any ideas what I could try
next?

thanks,
-michal urbanski