[Xen-users] Pygrub Installation

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Dingwall" <james.dingwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:56:10 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:56:59 -0700

Hi,

I've tried to convert a PV domU from using static kernel, ramdisk lines
in the configuration to bootloader.  I have checked the pygrub page in
the Xen wiki and done some googling but have not yet managed to solve my
problems.  My disk section in the configuration looks like:

disk = [ 'phy:systemvg/domU_rootlv,xvda1,w' ,
         'phy:systemvg/domU_swaplv,xvda2,w' ,
         'phy:systemvg/domU_optlv,xvda5,w' ,
         'phy:systemvg/domU_usrlv,xvda6,w' ,
         'phy:systemvg/domU_varlv,xvda7,w' ,

         'phy:datavg/domU_datalv,xvdb1,w' ]

The domU is a 64-bit Gentoo install. So far I have installed grub-static
(0.97-r9) into the domU, copied my existing kernel and ramdisk to /boot
and setup the the grub.conf / menu.lst file. If I try now with the boot
loader then I get "Error: Boot loader didn't return any data".  The wiki
page isn't entirely clear on this point but I think I need to do grub
root(hd0,0), setup(hd0,0)?  However, I'm unable to complete this step
since grub does not detect the virtual disks as BIOS devices, even after
adding entries to device.map.  Any hints on how to get this working?

Thanks,
James