Re: [Xen-users] Yes, it does! (Does the amount of main memory influence PCI pass through (DMA) capability?)

Hi Stephan,

I'm pretty sure,
I was building a cluster, of two identical systems with motherboard DQ45CB. the behavious was the same on both.
In each I had 2 modules of 2 gig. and both modules worked when inserted in the system.

Until this day the dmesg show some error but the system is working fine in production, (Uptime of 60 days + passthrough and still counting). I posted the dmesg before but no reaction then. Again with this output the system is working and I'm not sure If it is related. De dmesg of the freezing system I was never able to capture.

==== xm dmesg begin======
(XEN) Brought up 2 CPUs
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled
(XEN) I/O virtualisation for PV guests disabled
(XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:765: iommu_page_fault: iommu->reg = ffff828bfff56000
(XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:734: iommu_fault_status: Fault Overflow
(XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:737: iommu_fault_status: Primary Pending Fault
(XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:719: iommu_fault:DMA Write: 0:2.0 addr 500000000 REASON 5 iommu->reg = ffff828bfff56000
(XEN) print_vtd_entries: iommu = ffff83007b601f80 bdf = 0:2:0 gmfn = 500000
==== xm dmesg end ======

mfg,

Jeroen

Stephan Austermühle wrote:
Hi Jeroen,

Jeroen Groenewegen van der Weyden schrieb:

I seen the same problem with motherboard DQ45CB with 4 gig and pci pass-through enabled. The system just freezes at start up. when reducing the memory to 2 gig he system boots ok and is working fine, including the pci pass-through.

Are you sure that you don't have defective memory? In my case everything but PCI Pass Through runs fine with any memory size (no freezes).

Stephan