Re: ACPI/UEFI support for Xen/ARM status?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 22:32, Elliott Mitchell <ehem+xen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My preference is to introduce a per-platform quirk (I believe Stefano was
> > happy
> > with this). The advantage is we could get ACPI support for your board
> > hopefully
> > merged quicker.
>
> This could be workable as a temporary workaround.  Longer term I suspect
> it might well be rather better to *fully* tackle the issue *now*.
> Otherwise this seems likely to turn into a database of board-specific
> hacks for hundreds or thousands of devices.

As usual, you have to find a balance between cost vs benefits.

If you look at the Device-Tree side, we don' t have many platforms
requiring quirks.
In particular, the DMA is so far strictly limited to a single platform (RPI).
So I would be surprised if we suddenly require tons of quirks when using
ACPI.

Therefore I am unconvinced that such a big effort is necessary. That being said,
if you have plenty of time to invest to implement a DSDT parser in a
stub domain,
then I would be happy to review the patches.

Cheers,