Re: Tentative fix for "out of PoD memory" issue

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 01:53:06PM +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:
> Marek,
>
> could you please test whether the attached patch is fixing your
> problem?

Sure. In fact, I made a similar patch in the meantime (attached) to
experiment with this a bit.

> BTW, I don't think this couldn't happen before kernel 5.15. I guess
> my modification to use a kernel thread instead of a workqueue just
> made the issue more probable.

I think you are right here. But this all looks still a bit weird.

1. baseline: 5.10.61 (before using kernel thread - which was backported to
stable branches).

Here the startup completes successfully (no "out of PoD memory"
issue) with memory=270MB.

2. 5.10.61 with added boot delay patch:
The delay is about 18s and the guest boot successfully.

3. 5.10.71 with "xen/balloon: fix cancelled balloon action" but without
delay patch:
The domain is killed during startup (in the middle of fsck, I think)

4. 5.10.74 with delay patch:
The delay is about 19s and the guest boot successfully.

Now the weird part: with memory=270MB with the delay patch, the balloon
delay _fails_ - state=BP_ECANCELED, and credit is -19712 at that time.
In both thread and workqueue balloon variants. Yet, it isn't killed (*).
But with 5.10.61, even without the delay patch, the guest starts
successfully in the end.

Also, I think there was some implicit wait for initial balloon down
before. That was the main motivation for 197ecb3802c0 "xen/balloon: add
runtime control for scrubbing ballooned out pages" - because that
initial balloon down held the system startup for some long time. Sadly,
I can't find my notes from debugging that (especially if I had written
down a stacktrace _where_ exactly it was waiting)...

> I couldn't reproduce the crash you are seeing, but the introduced
> wait was 4.2 seconds on my test system (a PVH guest with 2 GB of
> memory, maxmem 6 GB).

I'm testing it on a much more aggressive setting:
 - memory: 270 MB (the minimal that is sufficient to boot the system)
 - maxmem: 4 GB

The default settings in Qubes are:
 - memory: 400 MB
 - maxmem: 4 GB

That should explains why it happens on Qubes way more often than
elsewhere.

(*) At some point during system boot, qubes memory manager kicks in and
the VM gets more memory. But it's rather late, and definitely after it is
killed with "out of PoD memory" in other cases.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki