Re: Xen-ARM DomUs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 08:36:34AM -0800, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2020, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > The available examples seem geared towards Linux DomUs.  I'm looking at a
> > FreeBSD installation image and it appears to expect an EFI firmware.
> > Beyond having a bunch of files appearing oriented towards booting on EFI
> > I can't say much about (booting) FreeBSD/ARM DomUs.
>
> Running EFI firmware in a domU is possible with both Tianocore and
> U-Boot. You should be able to build the firmware and pass it as a
> kernel= binary in the xl file. Then the firmware will be able to load
> the necessary binaries from the virtual disk.

Hmm, no mention of this on:
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/OVMF

In fact that appears 100% x86.  Perhaps tools/firmware needs to be
adjusted to make it work on ARM?

Really the xlexample files in tools/examples need equivalents for ARM...

*This* reads like the approach I'm looking for, but building Tianocore
is an adventure even with a good guide.

> I ran Tianocore this way years ago. Recently, u-boot has been ported to
> be run in a domU by Oleksandr Andrushchenko (CCed).

The Xen wiki has no information on this.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg@xxxxxxx  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445