Re: Xen-ARM DomUs

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> Finally getting to the truly productive stages of my project with Xen on
> ARM.
>
> How many of the OSes which function as x86 DomUs for Xen, function as
> ARM DomUs?  Getting Linux operational was straightforward, but what of
> others?

I know of FreeRTOS, Zephyr, VxWorks.

> The available examples seem geared towards Linux DomUs.  I'm looking at a
> FreeBSD installation image and it appears to expect an EFI firmware.
> Beyond having a bunch of files appearing oriented towards booting on EFI
> I can't say much about (booting) FreeBSD/ARM DomUs.

Running EFI firmware in a domU is possible with both Tianocore and
U-Boot. You should be able to build the firmware and pass it as a
kernel= binary in the xl file. Then the firmware will be able to load
the necessary binaries from the virtual disk.

I ran Tianocore this way years ago. Recently, u-boot has been ported to
be run in a domU by Oleksandr Andrushchenko (CCed).