Re: [Xen-devel] Kdump doesn't work when running with xen on newer hardware

Am Dienstag, 4. Februar 2020, 15:18:53 CET schrieb Jürgen Groß:
> On 04.02.20 15:07, Dietmar Hahn wrote:

> >> Starting from Xen 4.12 we keep IOMMU enabled during kexec transition
> >> which resolved the problem you're describing. But you also need to make
> >> sure IOMMU is enabled in your kexec kernel (which I think is now the
> >> default for most distros). You can still try to workaround the issue
> >> you're seeing on 4.11 by using "iommu=dom0-passthough" Xen option.
> >
> > I added "iommu=dom0-passthrough" to the xen-4.11 command line but no
> > success.
> > Further I added earlyprintk=... to the the kdump kernel and I could see the
> > dump kernel started and only one message from extract_kernel()
> > was printed. Then the reboot followed.
>
> Which message?
>
> Any chance you can build the kdump kernel with CONFIG_X86_VERBOSE_BOOTUP
> enabled?

Yes it's switched on. The Message is from the first debug message in
extract_kernel() - debug_putaddr(input_data):
"input_data: 0x"
But not all of the text is seen!
If I unterstand the early_serial_init code in
arch/x86/boot/early_serial_console.c
correctly the serial line works with polling (no interrupts), so it seems the
reboot is initiated before the complete message is printed.

With an older SLES11SP4 system (xen-4.4.4 and linux-3.0.107) the kdump works.

Dietmar.