Re: [Xen-devel] How PV frontend and backend initializes?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:47:09PM +0000, tosher 1 wrote:

> Anthony and Roger, thanks for your informative responses. It helped a lot.
>

> > I'm however unsure by what you mean with instance, so you might have
> > to clarify exactly what you mean in order to get a more concise
> > reply.
>
> Let's say there are two DomU's, and their respective network interfaces are
> xenbr0 and xenbr1. Therefore, there supposed to be two PV netback drivers
> running in Dom0 (or driver domain): one for xenbr0 and another for xenbr1. By
> the term instance, I am refering to these drivers. If later there comes
> another interface xenbr3, there will be the third instance of the backend
> driver. I was wondering how these multiple instances are created and when.

I would avoid using xenbr* as the nomenclature here. xenbr0 is usually
a bridge with a physical network interface that provides outside
access to guests. The network interfaces you are refereeing to are
usually called vifs, and have vif<domid>.<instance> nomenclature by
default (you can change the interface name on the xl.cfg config file).

> Now, as you pointed to the xen toolstack, I explored xl/libxl a little bit. I
> realized for two separate devices, libxl creates two different paths both for
> the frontend and backend. The OSes keeps watching xenstore paths. If an OS
> finds a device of the type it is interested in, it creates the instance of
> the corresponding driver (frontend or backend) if the device is not
> initialized already. The path is the parameter which make one instance
> different from the others.

Those instances are ultimately created by netback as a response to
device data being populated on xenstore, see xenvif_alloc in the Linux
kernel.

Roger.