Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.12 panic on Thinkpad W540 with UEFI mutiboot2, efi=no-rs workarounds it

On 09.10.2019 14:27, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 02:24:31PM +0200, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> Does it mean the whole discussion about SetVirtualAddressMap() being
>>> incompatible with kexec is moot, because runtime services (including
>>> SetVirtualAddressMap()) are not used by Xen after kexec anyway? If I
>>> understand correctly, you just said the Xen after kexec don't have
>>> runtime services pointer.
>>
>> The concern is about kexec-ing to Linux (based on what I recall
>> from when I wrote this code; as said the situation may have
>> changed for modern Linux).
>
> But then, Linux won't have EFI system table pointer either, no? I don't
> see Xen passing it over in any way.

Making the system table pointer available e.g. to kexec userspace
(so it can pass it in whatever suitable way) would be an easy
addition. Use of SetVirtualAddressMap(), otoh, would have been a
hard to undo step if I had made Xen's EFI boot path rely on it.
The kexec situation wrt EFI was very much in flux back then, and
hence I didn't want to take unnecessary risks of future
complications. Any step changing the current state of affairs
wants to provide assurance that it doesn't close roads which we
may need to go at some point.

Jan