Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.12 panic on Thinkpad W540 with UEFI mutiboot2, efi=no-rs workarounds it

On 09.10.2019 13:00, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:50:09PM +0200, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 09.10.2019 12:31, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki  wrote:
>>> BTW How runtime services work after kexec? I don't see EFI handles
>>> handed over kexec, are they somehow re-discovered?
>>
>> What EFI handles are you talking about? For runtime services
>> what a consumer needs is a table pointer, which is a field
>> in the system table, which in turn is an argument passed to
>> the EFI application's entry point.
>
> Yes, I'm talking about those pointers (system table specifically).
>
>> I didn't think there are
>> provisions in the spec for either of these pointers being NULL.
>
> But I don't see kexec using EFI application entry point. Am I missing
> something?

Can we stop thinking about a Linux -> Xen transition on this
thread please? It only serves to confuse matters imo. Kexec
_is_ different, and if anyone wants to get that transition
working, then they'll have to properly investigate what it
takes. Here we're concerned only about not breaking kexec-ing
_from_ Xen.

Jan