Re: [Xen-devel] Xen / EC2 release criteria proposal

Sorry for the top posting, "smart" phone...

What about Qubes OS? Isn't their dom0 using xen, based on Fedora?

Do they use Xen as packaged by Fedora? If not, couldn't they contribute whatever they do that Fedora doesn't here?

It might be worth getting in touch with them. They look like a significant Xen user, on Fedora.

Dridi

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019, 17:33 Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 17:01 +0300, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 05:56:11PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> [...]
> > So it seems like this would also be a good opportunity to revisit and
> > nail down more specifically exactly what our cloud requirements are.
> > bcotton suggested  that we require two sample instance types to be
> > tested, c5.large (KVM) and t3.large (Xen). (I've also mailed Thomas
> > Cameron, ex-of Red Hat, now of Amazon, for his opinion, as it seemed
> > like it might be worthwhile - he's promised to get back to me).
> >
> > So, for now, let me propose this as a trial balloon: we rewrite the
> > above criterion to say:
> >
> > "Release-blocking cloud disk images must be published to Amazon EC2 as
> > AMIs, and these must boot successfully and meet other relevant release
> > criteria on c5.large and t3.large instance types."
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for bringing this up. It's good to revisit things from time to
> time as the world changes.

Thanks for the feedback, Matt!

> Of the two instances that you propose, neither runs on Xen. The T2
> instances run on Xen, but T3 uses the KVM-based Nitro hypervisor.

That'll teach me to trust Ben...;)

> To ensure that a Linux based AMI functions across all of the devices
> and operating modes of EC2, you need to cover:
>
> x86 platforms
> -------------
> * Xen domU with only PV interfaces (e.g., M3 instances)
> * Xen domU with Intel 82599 virtual functions for Enhanced Networking
>   (e.g., C3 instances running in a VPC)
> * Xen domU with Enhanced Networking Adapter (e.g., R4 instances)
> * Xen domU with NVMe local instance storage (e.g., virtualized I3
>   instances)
> * Xen domU with more than 32 vCPUs (e.g., c4.8xlarge)
> * Xen domU with four NUMA nodes (e.g., x1.32xlarge)
> * Xen domU with maximum RAM available in EC2 (x1e.32xlarge)
> * KVM guest with consistent performance (e.g., c5.large)
> * KVM guest with burstable performance (e.g., t3.large)
> * KVM guest with local NVMe storage (e.g., c5d.large)
> * KVM guest with 100 Gbps networking and Elastic Fabric Adapter
>   (c5n.18xlarge)
> * KVM guest on AMD processors (e.g., m5a.large)
> * KVM guest on AMD processors with maximum NUMA nodes (e.g.,
>   m5a.24xlarge)
> * Bare metal Broadwell (i3.metal)
> * Bare metal Skylake (m5.metal)
> * Bare metal Cascade Lake (c5.metal)
>
> Arm platforms
> -------------
> * KVM guest on Arm with 1 CPU cluster (a1.xlarge)
> * KVM guest on Arm with 2 CPU clusters (a1.2xlarge)
> * KVM guest on Arm with 4 CPU clusters (a1.4xlarge)
>
> Not all of these are going to cause an image to fail to boot up to the
> point where a customer can SSH in. But a good number of these have
> caused early boot problems in the past (e.g., >32 vCPUs on PVHVM Xen).

Thanks a lot for the list, it's very helpful. It's also very long,
though. :P Still, we can certainly use it as a base.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey