Re: [Xen-devel] Migrating key developer docs to xen.git sphinx docs and refreshing them in the process

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 12:34, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 25/06/2019, 14:47, "Andrew Cooper" <Andrew.Cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That's because a contributor could add a patch at the end of a series to
>>> update one of the docs, even if the doc in question comes with no
>>> promises of being up-to-date.
>>
>>   I think this is going the wrong direction. The goal of using xen.git is to
>> try
>>   to keep the documentation up-to-date.
>>
>> I agree with Julien and this was also not my intention. The reason why I
>> brought this up now is that the in-tree docs are pretty much a mess today
>> and are stale in many ways. And they look TERRIBLE and are not easily
>> searchable. However, Andy's latest set of patches provide an opportunity to
>> consolidate some of the in-tree docs in a nicely rendered and searchable
>> format.
>
>   So the plan here is to get a consistent and uniform set of high quality
>   docs.
>
>   As fair warning, I'm intending to be fairly strict with what goes in
>   (quality wise), because I'm going to do my best to ensure that the
>   sphinx documentation doesn't devolve into the mess that wiki or the
>   majority of docs/ currently is.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree
>
>> I have been focussing on process related and key developer related docs,
>> because who maintains them is not actually an issue in theory. Everyone
>> really ought to care, because everyone is impacted by these.
>
>   The key point is for maintainers/reviewers to be aware of whether
>   documentation exists for the area of code being modified, and if so,
>   whether the submitted patch should also patch the documentation.
>
> I am wondering whether this is something which could be addressed. One
> possibility may be to have SUPPORT.md point to documentation. But that is
> kind of assuming that SUPPORT.md works and is widely used. There may be
> better or orthogonal ways to point to relevant docs (e.g. by pointing to docs
> in header files and other source files).
>
>   Reviewers tend to be fairly good at noticing patches which also need to
>   patch docs/misc/xen-command-line.pandoc (submitters, less so), but this
>   approach needs extending to the whole of the sphinx docs (which in turn
>   requires the docs to stay high quality so its easy for maintainers to
>   know what is where).
>
> Although this does not apply in my proposal, I think the key issue has been
> that reviewers and submitters of code often don't use our documentation. The
> wiki is seen as a separate thing and also has the disadvantage that it
> doesn't lend itself to supporting different versions of Xen. And most of the
> time, developers do not use it and neither contribute to it.
>
> My hope was that by hosting documentation related to contribution workflow
> and other essential tasks close to other useful documentation this would
> enable change.

> [...]

If not already present in the release manager process checklist, we could
specify documentation-related updates for each release, e.g. minimum text for
new features, revisions to modified features, SUPPORT.md updates.

Rich

(resend with non-bulkmail address)