Re: [Xen-devel] Migrating key developer docs to xen.git sphinx docs and refreshing them in the process

Hi,

On 24/06/2019 19:03, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, Lars Kurth wrote:
> I think we all agree by now that maintaining up-to-date docs on the wiki
> and keeping them in sync with code changes is hard. I see moving things
> from the wiki to xen.git as a great improvement. We have a few Xen on
> ARM docs that are worth importing from the wiki:
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions

I agree for this but ...

> And all the board specific docs linked from it, such as:
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/qemu-system-aarch64
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HiKey960

... I think it is a pretty bad idea to import board specific docs. There
are a lot of way to build components for a given board and I am worry of
the overheard for the maintainers to look/maintain the documentation. It
also brings the question of the acceptance/removal of
a board documentation.

Instead we should provide generic guidance/troubleshoot to the user.
Anything board specific could be maintain on the wiki by someone caring
about the board without having us to gate it.

We could try to revive a discussion we had a couple of years ago where
someone is responsible for a given board to test and document it. Today
it is informal, but I have been pushing for it recently for new boards.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall