From: M A Young [mailto:m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2019 4:16 PM
To: Chen, Farrah <farrah.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Hao, Xudong <xudong.hao@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling Xen error on RedHat8.0

On Fri, 24 May 2019, Chen, Farrah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I met some python related issues when building Xen on RedHat8.0.
> On RedHat8.0, the default python version is python3, and I found Xen has some
> python2 codes, so I tried to build xen using python2.
> On RedHat8.0, no "python", just "python2" and "python3":
>
> ls /usr/bin/python*
> /usr/bin/python2    /usr/bin/python2.7-config  /usr/bin/python3
> /usr/bin/python3.6-config  /usr/bin/python3.6m-config
> /usr/bin/python3-config
> /usr/bin/python2.7  /usr/bin/python2-config    /usr/bin/python3.6
> /usr/bin/python3.6m        /usr/bin/python3.6m-x86_64-config
>
> So I created a soft link "python" to "python2":
>
> ll /usr/bin/python
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 May 24 13:08 /usr/bin/python ->
> /usr/bin/python2
>
> Then I tried to build xen:
>
> cd xen
> ./configure --enable-ovmf
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for python-config... no
> checking Python.h usability... yes
> checking Python.h presence... yes
> checking for Python.h... yes
> checking for PyArg_ParseTuple... no
> configure: error: Unable to find a suitable python development library
> configure: error: ./configure failed for tools
>
> If I use python3(create a soft link "python" to "python3" ), it reported
> syntax error.
>
> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for python-config... no
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     import distutils.sysconfig;         print "-I" +
> distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var("INCLUDEPY")
>                                                  ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> checking Python.h usability... no
> checking Python.h presence... no
> checking for Python.h... no
> configure: error: Unable to find Python development headers
> configure: error: ./configure failed for tools
>
> To resolve "Unable to find a suitable python development library", I
> installed python2-devel*, python2-lib*, python3-devel*, python3-lib*,
> python2-six, python3-six, but this error still exists.
> In RedHat7, these packages are called "python-devel*, python-lib*", but in
> RedHat8, these packages don't exists, RedHat8 has only "python2-devel*,
> python2-lib*, python3-devel*, python3-lib*", maybe Xen codes cannot identify
> them.
>
> Do you have any advice on building Xen on RedHat8? Thanks a lot!

If you want to go down the python3 path there are a bundle of python3 packages
(from the xen master branch) in the Fedora build of xen-4.12.0 at
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/xen/blob/master/f/xen.python3.patch
which might be useful to apply or refer to given that RHEL 8 is loosely based
on Fedora.

Also RHEL 8 has python36-devel and python2-devel which you might need for a
python3 or python2 build.

        Michael Young