Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.12.0-rc Hangs Around masked ExtINT on CPU#

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 08:08:33AM -0700, John L. Poole wrote:

> On 4/29/2019 5:02 AM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> > > Jan,
> > >
> > > Recall, the Xen kernel successfully launched in 2017 when I first built
> > > Xen in Gentoo, that was about version 4.7.1.  I had to launch it
> > > from an EFI console.  I've tried to revert back to 4.7.1 and
> > > build a kernel and I have found it too difficult as certain
> > > dependencies have since been removed from Gentoo.
> > Unless some of us can get our hands on one of such systems I think
> > your best bet would be to try to bisect the changes between 4.7 and
> > 4.8 if 4.7 was indeed working on your system.
> >
> > Note that you only need to build the Xen hypervisor (make xen) in
> > order to bisect this issue, there's no need to build the tools at
> > all, which is where almost all of the dependencies come from. The
> > hypervisor is mostly standalone and only have dependencies on a
> > couple of tools.
> >
> > Roger.
> Thank you, Roger.
>
> In Gentoo, there are two packages of xen and xen-tools which
> tend to progress with the same release number. When
> I try to go back an install a 4.7.x set, my compiler errors out
> in the xen-tools  with:
> "directive writing up to 39 bytes into a region of size between 17 and 37 "
> so I suspect the advancement of my compiler is finding problems
> my compiler of 2 years ago could not.
>
> I'll try to if I can modify a xen 4.7.x package pointing to a recent
> xen-tools,
> e.g. 4.12.0.  If that doesn't work, I'll try using a xen source from your
> repository and hand compile.

IMO it would be better if you can build directly from the upstream git
repository [0], that way you could use git-bisect(1) in order to figure
out which commit broke your system. For example:

# git clone git://xenbits.xen.org/xen.git
# cd xen
# git checkout RELEASE-4.7.0
# make xen -j8

That should give you a set of Xen binaries in the xen/ directory, IIRC
you are booting from EFI so you likely need xen/xen.efi.

If that works, then you can test RELEASE-4.8.0 and if that fails to
boot you should have a range of commits that you can bisect in order
to find the culprit.

Thanks, Roger.

[0] http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=summary