Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.12.0-rc Hangs Around masked ExtINT on CPU#

On 4/29/2019 5:02 AM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 09:23:11AM -0700, John L. Poole wrote:
On 3/27/2019 7:21 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 27.03.19 at 14:25, <jlpoole56@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/27/2019 1:14 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 26.03.19 at 18:21, <jlpoole56@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
zeta /usr/local/src/xen # cat xen/.config |grep CONFIG_HVM
# CONFIG_HVM is not set
zeta /usr/local/src/xen #

# tried 2 boot attempts
log at: https://pastebin.com/nL4BWJ6Y

Hang points at lines:
Thanks for trying anyway; one further possibility eliminated. Looking
at the logs I've had another thought (wild guess again, so not really
much hope): Could you try "mwait-idle=no"?

I modified man_xen.cfg by adding at the end the kernel parameter:

mwait-idle=no

Rebooted.
Result: hung:
Thanks. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for the moment.

Jan

Jan,

Recall, the Xen kernel successfully launched in 2017 when I first built
Xen in Gentoo, that was about version 4.7.1.  I had to launch it
from an EFI console.  I've tried to revert back to 4.7.1 and
build a kernel and I have found it too difficult as certain
dependencies have since been removed from Gentoo.
Unless some of us can get our hands on one of such systems I think
your best bet would be to try to bisect the changes between 4.7 and
4.8 if 4.7 was indeed working on your system.

Note that you only need to build the Xen hypervisor (make xen) in
order to bisect this issue, there's no need to build the tools at
all, which is where almost all of the dependencies come from. The
hypervisor is mostly standalone and only have dependencies on a
couple of tools.

Roger.
Thank you, Roger.

In Gentoo, there are two packages of xen and xen-tools which
tend to progress with the same release number. When
I try to go back an install a 4.7.x set, my compiler errors out
in the xen-tools  with:
"directive writing up to 39 bytes into a region of size between 17 and 37 "
so I suspect the advancement of my compiler is finding problems
my compiler of 2 years ago could not.

I'll try to if I can modify a xen 4.7.x package pointing to a recent xen-tools,
e.g. 4.12.0.  If that doesn't work, I'll try using a xen source from your
repository and hand compile.

Yes, be assured I did, at one time, build xen on this machine as I have
a couple of VMs on there that I depend upon and I have to confess
that during my upgrade I did not take the step to back-up the
working xen kernel.  So now I am effectively locked out from my
day-to-day resources on my atom VMs which has compounded the
exasperation I experience.  have been without my working data
set locked up in a Gentoo kernel VM because I cannot launch Dom0.
A very painful lesson learned: always back up the working kernel
and EFI files before undertaking an upgrade.