Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and safety certification, Minutes of the meeting on Apr 4th

Hi,

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 9:20 PM Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2018, Julien Grall wrote:
> > Hi Stefano,

Plus/Safety_Critical_Certified/SafeRTOS-Safety-Critical-Certification.shtml
FreeRTOS and
Docherty

> > > One more option (apparently taken by others) is to demonstrate that
> > > after boot Dom0 cannot affect the system anymore.
> >
> > Can you describe what you mean by "affecting the system anymore".

> I don't actually know: I have been told that this is a strategy pursued
> by other hypervisors. I guess we'll find out more details as we get more
> familiar with the certification requirements.

> > > To do that, we would
> > > have to get rid of Dom0 entirely after booting all domains, or,
> > > deprivilege/restrict its possible effects on the system. Something
like
> > > turning Dom0 into a DomU after booting all the other guests.
> > > This might actually be easier to achieve than "dom0-less" or using
> > > FreeRTOS as dom0.
> >
> > Other than accessing the hypercall, there are few other way for Dom0 to
affect
> > the platform:
> >       - Dom0 by default has access to all the hardware but the one
assigned
> > to DomUs. Those hardware may give the possibility to affect the
> > platform irreversibly (or even rebooting).
> >       - Not all DMA-capable devices are today protected by an IOMMU
> >
> > You probably can create something similar to the hardware domain as on
x86
> > (i.e all the hardware is owned by a separate domain other than Dom0),
but then
> > it is only shifting the problem.

> Yeah, you are right. It looks like turning Dom0 into a DomU is not good
> enough. Maybe for this option to be viable we would actually have to
> terminate (or pause and never unpause?) dom0 after boot.

Just a thought !
How about keeping Dom0 still be there, but DomUs given Dom0 privilege, with
restricted permission on mission critical resources ? And if anyhow Dom0
crashes,
the best contended among the existing DomUs take the ownership of Dom0 ?

> > However, you surely need an entity to handle domain crash. You don't
want to
> > reboot your platform (and therefore you safety critical domain) for a
crashed
> > UI, right? So how this is going to be handled in your option?

> We need to understand the certification requirements better to know the
> answer to this. I am guessing that UI crashes are not handled from the
> certification point of view -- maybe we only need to demonstrate that
> the system is not affected by them?

Where can we find the certification requirements details ?