Re: [Xen-devel] Upping gcc requirement for x86

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/29/18 12:05 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Long term I think we want to get away from building seabios ourselves
>> altogether; but it's a bit late in the release cycle to work out that
>> kind of change.
>>
>> On the whole I'd probably go with #3 at this point.
>>
>>  -George
>>

> Violent agreement here. Every distro wants to see this so they can share
> these blobs. Its what lead to the change to tracking tags in
> 3dd926a25d866364ce6d46c21f9ac05a82fa7ffb originally.

I don't understand what you mean -- AFAIK there's no *dependency* from
Xen to any particular version of SeaBIOS (unlike QEMU).  If 1.9 won't
compile with gcc 4.4, but 1.8 does, we can just point the tag to 4.4.
Distros will be compiling their own SeaBIOS versions anyway, no?

Or am I missing your point somehow?

 -George