Re: [Xen-devel] Upping gcc requirement for x86

>>> George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> 03/29/18 7:06 PM >>>
>On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Seabios has bumped their requirement to 4.6 (released 7 years ago). We
>> either need to bump our too or have a separate entry for seabios.
>
>RHEL / CentOS 6 are still supported, and they come with GCC 4.4.
>
>Other potential options:
>
>1. Have configure disable seabios if the gcc version is too old
>2. Have configure change to an older seabios release if gcc is too old
>3. Downgrade the seabios tag / changeset to a version that builds with
>older gcc versions

4. Fix the build issue in a commit in our private clone of the tree. It looked
as if it would be one of those unnamed structure initialization issues, so
shouldn't be very difficult to address. That's what I'd likely do locally anyway
as long as it's not terribly widespread, to save myself having to build/install
newer gcc on those older systems (it's intentional that I don't build centrally
and then only distribute the binaries, mainly but not only to have this very
build coverage with older tool chains).

Jan