Re: [Xen-devel] [stage1-xen (RFC) PATCH 00/10] Add Fedora support

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017, Rajiv Ranganath wrote:
> Hi Stefanao,
>
> Following series adds documentation on how to use stage1-xen on Fedora.
> It also adds continuous build support using CircleCI.
>
> Xen, Qemu, rkt and stage1 ACI image are built using a Fedora based
> container. This setup allows for a reproducible build environment that
> we can use locally and also within a CI system.
>
> Below is an overview of the series -
>
> build/fedora: Add `buildroot-README.md`
> build/fedora: Add `buildroot-Dockerfile`
> build/fedora: Add `run`
>
> `build/fedora` directory is introduced. In this directory we can
> maintain documentation, scripts and patches relating to Fedora support
> for stage1-xen.
>
> `buildroot-README.md` describes a two stage container build process.
> This is modeled on how we do builds for distro packages, but using
> containers instead of a mock/chroot environment. The build artifact
> produced by `run` script is a tarball, instead of a rpm or deb file.
>
> build/fedora: Add `source_path.sh`
> build/fedora: Add `xen-unstable-runit/*` scripts
>
> Scripts used within build artifact tarball.
>
> .circleci/config.yml: Add
> README.md: Add CircleCI badge
>
> Adds CircleCI support. Here [1][2] is a temporary repo with Circle CI
> support enabled.
>
> build/fedora: Add `RUNNING_STAGE1_XEN.md`
> BUILDING.md: Add Fedora instructions
>
> Update docs.
>
> Please let me know your comments. Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Rajiv
>
> [1]: https://github.com/lambda-linux-fedora/stage1-xen/tree/wip
> [2]: https://circleci.com/gh/lambda-linux-fedora/stage1-xen/tree/wip

Hi Rajiv,

Thank you very much for your work on this! From an high level, I think
it is very good.

One thing I would like to ask is that you make it just a bit more
modular. I think it is OK to use a Docker container for the build, but I
would like to support users that prefer to build on their own system by
calling build/fedora/run manually, the same script used by the Docker
container.

I don't think it would be a lot of effort to change the docs and the
script to allow that but it would be of great benefit.

I'll add more comments on the patches.