Re: [Xen-devel] [For 4.9] Updating https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features to reflect support status of new features

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Razvan Cojocaru
<rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> - Security > Alternative 2pm : Supported – I think we should split this
>> out – it is currently implicitly covered under "Virtual Machine
>> Introspection"
>
> I agree that altp2m deserves its own space. While we're interested in
> it, our current solution makes no use of it, so it's certainly possible
> to do introspection without any help from altp2m.

I do use it with introspection but I think there were also use-cases
for it that were not introspection related. So I think splitting it
out is correct.

> From my, albeit limited, experience, altp2m probably fits under "Tech
> preview".

Sounds right to me.

> If we subtract altp2m from the general "Virtual Machine Introspection"
> category, I'd say that the upstream support is between "Tech Preview"
> and "Supported". I'll explain.
>
> The interface is largely stable, but we may need to add optimizations
> which might change it - so while we don't want this to be happening a
> lot, it will happen.

IMHO if we consider stuff like the domctl interface stable then the
vm_event interface can be considered stable too. I don't think stable
means that it doesn't change, I think it means that it changes in a
way that users can clearly build with it and/or detect the changes via
interface versioning, which we do have here as well.

> There's also functional stability with the XenServer patches (which
> bypass the emulator (single-step) when it can't emulate, and has a
> version of the old smp_lock() emulator race-condition patch).
> Unfortunately, upstream Xen still has race condition issues when
> emulating LOCKed instructions in SMP scenarios - this will be addressed
> ASAP with a proper CMPXCHG patch that currently depends on a patch from
> Andrew and will require rework of a patch from Jan that adds a specific
> emulation return code for CMPXCHG failures.
>
> There's also an issue with #UD injections which is covered by the
> emulator bypass patch in XenServer but can cause IPIs to get lost with
> the upstream code - that will also require some more thinking.
>
> So there are still (emulation-related) quirks upstream. We'd very much
> like to get them ironed out.

IMHO the emulator of Xen is not part of introspection. Just as with
altp2m, it can be used in that context, but it is not part of it.

Tamas