Re: [Xen-devel] [For 4.9] Updating https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features to reflect support status of new features

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all, (I think I CCed all stake-holders)
>
> to finish off the release documentation for 4.9, I need to add an extra
> column to https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Release_Features
> because I was travelling, this dropped of my radar. There several decisions
> to be made:
> A) Decide which "features" to add
> B) Decide on the status of the feature
> C) Deal with status changes of any past features
>
> The first goal would be to decide on A and any new "features" under C. For
> B, I am OK to add "???" for now and point to this thread, until we have
> concluded the discussion
>
> Note that I tracked some of this as preparation for getting CNA status.
> Items marked with * are not yet in the discussion document that I created
> for the security team and which we intend to discuss at the summit.
>
> For all of these, the naming convention is "Section in document" > "Feature"
> : "Support status". The definition of support status is added at the end of
> the mail: note that the text has not yet been fully agreed, but seems to
> reflect fairly well how we handled stuff in the past.
>
> == On A / B: I think we should add ==
> - Resource Management > Null Scheduler : tech preview or experimental

I think that the interface is probably in a final form, the code is
complete, and there are no known bugs or issues; so I'd say tech
preview.

Dario, any opinions?

> - Virtual Firmware or PV Bootloader Support (not sure which) >  x86/Boot Xen
> on EFI platforms using GRUB2*  : ???

If I'm interpreting your phrase correctly, this probably goes under
"interoperability / hardware support"

> - Hardware > ARM/Alternative Runtime Patching (ARM32 and ARM64): ??? [note
> that this should probably have been added for 4.8, but I didn't add it]
> - Hardware > ARM/System Error Protection* : ???
> - Hardware > ARM/Wait for Virtual Interrupt* : ???
> - Hardware > x86/AVX512/Neural Network Instructions AVX512_4VNNIW* : ???
> - Hardware > x86/AVX512/Multiply Accumulation Single precision
> AVX512_4FMAPS* : ???
> - Device Models > DMOP (Device Model Operation Hypercall)  : ???

This is already used by default in the version of qemu released in
4.9, right?  I think I'd call that "supported".

> == On C ==
> - Security > Live Patching - see
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-06/threads.html#03039
> - Security > Alternative 2pm : Supported – I think we should split this out
> – it is currently implicitly covered under "Virtual Machine Introspection"
>
> If we introduce a new heading "PV Protocols and Drivers" we should probably
> list all the common ones as supported in this heading, e.g.
> - PV Protocols and Drivers* > default (net, block, console, keyboard, mouse)
> : supported

I don't think there are keyboard and mouse PV protocols.  On the other
hand, I just realized that I have no idea how one uses PV guests with
a framebuffer but no mouse.

> There are also USB and framebuffer, which I am not sure whether they should
> be supported and if not, what their status is
> - PV Protocols and Drivers* > USB : ???

This one has been around a long time, then languished for a bit, but
it seems has been picked up by SuSE again.

I don't *think* we're doing USB testing in osstest yet (either HVM or PVUSB).

Juergen, are you guys actively doing internal testing of PVUSB?  If so
we could probably label that as 'supported' anyway.

> - PV Protocols and Drivers* > framebuffer : ???

This one has also been around forever.  I don't know who might be
using it, but I've never heard any complaints about it.  It should
probably be grandfathered in as "supported", at least for now.

 -George