Re: [Xen-devel] Coding style

The changes at this point are similar in spirit to SMMUv2, with additions for
ACPI parsing. I have not #def'd the platform_get functions or the dma
allocation functions, prints et al. I have deleted out unneeded functions
instead of wrapping them in if 0 based on some internal review.

Your response helps. I can try to keep the code as similar to the upstream
driver as possible. So, I will follow the origin file coding standard.
Thanks,
Sameer

On 4/27/2017 12:45 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2017, 20:12 Goel, Sameer, <sgoel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sgoel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I am trying to port a Linux driver to Xen. After making the changes it
> seems that there are enough changes to say that this driver is different
> enough as compared to the original file. But it still has code from the
> original author that is used as is.
>
>     Based on the CODING_STYLE document I was following the Linux coding style
> for this file. Since, the file looks a lot different, I am wondering if I
> should convert this to Xen coding style?
>

> My concern is if we diverge too much from Linux we will increase the
> maintainance cost.
>
> It will be very difficult to backport patch and we would not benefit from
> Linux testing.
>
> I did this mistake with SMMU v2 and I had to rewrite everything 6 months
> later.
>
> So before giving any answer here, I'd like to understand what changes you had
> to make.
>
> Cheers,

 Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies as an affiliate of Qualcomm Technologies,
Inc. Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, a Linux
Foundation Collaborative Project.