Re: [Xen-devel] Looking for some input: Alpine Linux Bug #6962, apparently broken pv-grub in 3.5

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 05:03:41PM +0200, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> last month I hit a weird bug with PV-Grub in AlpineLinux 3.5
> Basically, after updating PV-Grub you can no longer boot your VMs unless
> they’re on an ext2 partition.
> This also happened to others and apparently also on Gentoo.
>
> Natanael Copa has been kind enough to dig in, but it’s gotten to a point
> where I’m uncertain if you guys did give up on PV-Grub or something.
> Is there a known regression? Is anything deprecated?
>
> It would be very kind if a Xen dev could have a look here:
>
> https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/6962#change-19135
>
> (Please CC on replies or put in the bug tracker)

Please make a request to Jan Beulich or Ian Jackson to backport the
stubdom fix to 4.7 if it solves the "Error 9" booting problem.

As for the ext4 issue, it is trickier because it's going to be a
non-trivial patch. It certainly requires a deep understanding of ext4.
We would certainly be happy to accept patch(es) for that.

Wei.