Re: [Xen-devel] Enabling vm_event for a guest with more VCPUs than available ring buffer slots freezes the virtual machine

On 02/07/2017 08:15 PM, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Razvan Cojocaru
> <rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Setting, e.g. 16 VCPUs for a HVM guest, ends up blocking the guest
>     completely when subscribing to vm_events, apparently because of this
>     code in xen/common/vm_event.c:
>
>     315     /* Give this vCPU a black eye if necessary, on the way out.
>     316      * See the comments above wake_blocked() for more information
>     317      * on how this mechanism works to avoid waiting. */
>     318     avail_req = vm_event_ring_available(ved);
>     319     if( current->domain == d && avail_req < d->max_vcpus )
>     320         vm_event_mark_and_pause(current, ved);
>
>     It would appear that even if the guest only has 2 online VCPUs, the
>     "avail_req < d->max_vcpus" condition will pause current, and we
>     eventually end up with all the VCPUs paused.
>
>     An ugly hack ("avail_req < 2") has allowed booting a guest with many
>     VCPUs (max_vcpus, the guest only brings 2 VCPUs online), however that's
>     just to prove that that was the culprit - a real solution to this needs
>     more in-depth understading of the issue and potential solution. That's
>     basically very old code (pre-2012 at least) that got moved around into
>     the current shape of Xen today - please CC anyone relevant to the
>     discussion that you're aware of.
>
>     Thoughts?
>

> I think is a side-effect of the growth of the vm_event structure and the
> fact that we have a single page ring. The check effectively sets a
> threshold of having enough space for each vCPU to place at least one
> more event on the ring, and if that's not the case it gets paused. OTOH
> I think this would only have an effect on asynchronous events, for all
> other events the vCPU is already paused. Is that the case you have?

No, on the contrary, all my events are synchronous (the VCPU is paused
waiting for the vm_event reply).

I've debugged this a bit, and the problem seems to be that
vm_event_wake_blocked() breaks here:

150     /* We remember which vcpu last woke up to avoid scanning always
linearly
151      * from zero and starving higher-numbered vcpus under high load */
152     if ( d->vcpu )
153     {
154         int i, j, k;
155
156         for (i = ved->last_vcpu_wake_up + 1, j = 0; j <
d->max_vcpus; i++, j++)
157         {
158             k = i % d->max_vcpus;
159             v = d->vcpu[k];
160             if ( !v )
161                 continue;
162
163             if ( !(ved->blocked) || online >= avail_req )
164                break;
165
166             if ( test_and_clear_bit(ved->pause_flag, &v->pause_flags) )
167             {
168                 vcpu_unpause(v);
169                 online++;
170                 ved->blocked--;
171                 ved->last_vcpu_wake_up = k;
172             }
173         }
174     }

at "if ( !(ved->blocked) || online >= avail_req )". At this point,
nothing ever gets unblocked. It's hard to believe that this is desired
behaviour, as I don't know what could possibly happen for that condition
to become false once all the online VCPUs are stuck (especially when the
guest has just started booting).

Thanks,
Razvan