Re: [Xen-devel] [DOC RFC] Heterogeneous Multi Processing Support in Xen

On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 07:12 +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 07/12/16 19:29, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> >
> > Setting and getting the CPU class of a vCPU will happen via two new
> > hypercalls:
> >
> > * `XEN_DOMCTL_setvcpuclass`
> > * `XEN_DOMCTL_setvcpuclass`
>
> XEN_DOMCTL_getvcpuclass

Oops, thanks.

> > ### Phase 2
> >
> > Inside Xen, the various schedulers will be modified to deal
> > internally with
> > the fact that vCPUs can only run on pCPUs from the class(es) they
> > are
> > associated with. This allows for more efficient implementation, and
> > paves
> > the way for enabling more intelligent logic (e.g., for minimizing
> > power
> > consumption) in *phase 3*.
> >
> Any idea how to avoid problems in the schedulers related to vcpus
> with
> different weights?

Sure: use Credit2! :-P

And I'm not joking (not entirely, at least), as the alternative is to
re-engineer significantly the algorithm inside Credit, which I'm not
sure is doable or worthwhile, especially considering we have
alternatives.

> Remember, weights and pinning don't go well together,
> that was the main reason for inventing cpupools. You should at least
> name that problem.

Yes, that's true. I will add a paragraph about it.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario